Friday, February 24, 2006

Zippy II, Electric Boogaloo


Something very special was delivered for Henry the other day. His name is Zippy II. To fully appreciate this gift, it is important to understand the story behind Zippy I, original gangsta. Most of you know the deal, but we are documenting for H here.

Zippy is a stuffed monkey that belonged to Henry's Pappy (my dad) and was handed down to me. I formed an immediate obsessive attachment to him. I carried him everywhere and would not sleep without him. Even after Aunt Jennifer peed on him. (I know, sick).

During the course of our relationship, Zippy was well loved, as evidenced by his tattered clothing and worn-down fur. Teachers would sew his seams back together where the stuffing was coming out. Gramz made outfits for him so he would not be nekked. Mom fastened a safety pin from his arm to his rubber wrist to hold his hand in place. He lost his ears in 1975 when Aunt Jennifer chewed them off. (I think she really had something against him). In the late 70's he was "not allowed" to attend any sleepover functions at Rachel Andrews' house because he was "too scary looking". Seriously. He had no ears! How much more vulnerable could a stuffed monkey look? Anyway, I loved him as much as anyone could love something that is not really living and he was always around. You get the picture.

I was hoping to be able to have zippy refurbished for Henry, but it was not possible. When I opened the red box, I was elated to find that Gramz and Pappy had made Henry his very own Zippy! He has tons of beautiful new fur and his ears ears are intact. I don't think his presence will be denied anywhere Henry wishes to take him.

Thanks, Pappy and Gramz!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home