Friday, April 21, 2006

Birth Story, Part Deux

Finally, I have a brief respite from poo fountains/bottle cleaning/baby laundry, to finish the tale of Henry's entrance into our world. I have had fifteen minutes in a row before, but such "free time" is usually reserved for a shower or a quick trip to the grocery store when daddy gets home from his job where he gets to talk to other adults all day.

I just gathered the men together and announced that I will not be taking a shower this evening and instead will be found at my computer when the next burp cloth crisis arises, or when my boob is next summoned. In my mind, this announcement was going to come across as a dramatic act of defiance. I was sure that the one who mastered the english language would at least raise an eyebrow and ask if I was sure this is what I wanted to do. Between the breastfeeding, the hormones and the vitamins I take, I really need to shower twice a day so as not to offend myself or my family (I know that is probably too much information if you are not a mother, but that is why this moment was supposed to have felt more rebellious in nature). Instead, my sweet husband said, "No problem. You do whatever you need to do. I have everything under control." So in addition to the other post-partum losses of freedom, I have now added," No longer able to rebel".

However, in return for these petty "losses", I have been given the gift of a crazy, pure, complete, selfless love for this boy we made. I would give up anything for him. Anything. Whenever I log anything here that smacks of negativity, please keep this in mind so you don't think I am a bad mom.

Speaking of bad mom, I just realized that I did not get Henry's bed ready or pump this evening. And since there is no way I am really skipping out on that shower,I will have to postpone the birth story yet another day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home