Tuesday, February 28, 2006

He Ain't Heavy, He's My Baby


After having been told that I could quite possibly be having the largest baby known to man (ok, that is how it translated in my mind when my doctor estimated 9.5-10lbs, if carried to due date), we have been spending the past couple of weeks asking ourselves questions and preparing for such a birth.

Would it defy the laws of nature for something that size to exit my body naturally? If not, would I ever be able to walk again post-delivery? I kept having visions of big ol' Henry with his arms reaching out to me to be picked up and my having to say, "I am so sorry, but mama's back is still out from the last time I tried to lift you." Then I would flash forward to his toddlerhood, when I would be asking him to give me piggyback rides around the house.

Last week at Target, I came very close to offering 100 bucks to a stock clerk for his weight belt, but Greg threatened to leave the store and I had not yet purchased my 3 Musketeers bar. Oh, the power of chocolate.

Yesterday morning, we were delighted to learn that Henry is about 7.5 lbs now and should not get "too much bigger". We are well aware that no medical professional can say definitively how much he really weighs, but the fact that the sonographer did not tell his assistant to run out and "get the Guinness folks on the line, stat", put our minds at ease.

Unfortunately, his hands were at his face for most of the ultrasound, so our hope for a sweet face shot were unfufilled. I still love the picture we got even if he looks a bit like an alien.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home