Thursday, October 02, 2008

Got any more life-changing events up my sleeve?

I suppose now's as good a time as any to formally announce that I am accepting a position with Landor Associates in Cincinnati, Ohio.

Landor is a company that I've admired for a long time now, and is a definite leader in brand development. They have offices worldwide. I don't think it would be particularly outlandish to say that, for what they do (large-scale brand identity campaigns), they're top five in their class. A lot of the brands that you see on a day to day basis came through their offices (FedEx, P&G, BP, etc)

And you know what? They really like me. They're really excited to have me join their team, and think that I can be a leader and do good things there, which is tremendously flattering. I've really been looking for an opportunity like this for a long time now. Instead of wondering how I'm going to make it to retirement in this field bouncing from job to job, I'm starting to see a career roadmap unfold in front of me.

My M.O. in life is to be a good father, husband and provider, and I feel like this helps me get there.

The bad: A few months ago (or more), I think we realized that living in Colorado, away from our family/friends centers didn't make a ton of sense for us.

So, we looked at it like, we've got this hub in Texas and we've got this hub in Cincinnati (I'm from Cincinnati, she's from Austin), and it would probably be best for our family to end up closer to one of the two.

Unfortunately (and this is where the bad comes in), that means we had to pick. And pick is probably not the right word, since you take the opportunity that is in front of you. And this is the opportunity that happened, and made the most sense. We make this decision knowing that there will be some disappointed friends and family (that we care about very much), and, well, what can I say, it's just a hard thing to do. This is twice now that we've had to say goodbyes to people that we care about very much.

The ugly: I was telling Kelsey yesterday that it just feels weird and wrong that we haven't had access to Chuy's on a semi-regular basis for over a year now. Sure, there's Skyline Chili, but still...

We'll be loading up the moving trucks at the end of the month, and I'll start work November 3rd. We're going to take our time and find a good house, and will embrace stability. Wish us luck.

11 Comments:

Blogger djempirical said...

good luck!

i might actually occasionally see you. weird!

10:04 AM  
Blogger Maggie said...

Congratulations! This is super exciting. And Cincinnati is awesome (although I think you must have meant GOLD STAR chili...).

xoxox, Mag

10:36 AM  
Blogger Sarita said...

dude. i am really happy for you. i think this is gonna be a really good thing.i'm excited to watch it all come together.

11:38 AM  
Blogger reagan/mikki said...

yay! this means i'm only a 7 1/2 hour drive from y'all now!!

1:09 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

...And just when I am announcing that I am moving to Boulder!

Okay, so not yet. But, of course, I'll be in Cincinnati as much as I was in Colorado!

Love,
Mormor

3:29 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Wow, you all are amazing. What else? Is Henry in charge of the bailout? Is Milo getting married? Congrats on the job. It is so hard to live away from family.

10:17 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Congrats! Welcome back to the nati. Be sure to let us know if you need anything!

11:20 AM  
Blogger Jerry Althoff said...

Go Bucks.

OH...

IO !

8:19 PM  
Blogger Ashley said...

well of course i wish you guys were heading back this way, but this sounds like a great opportunity and i'm glad you will be close to people who know and love you.

8:11 AM  
Blogger Regina Raudabaugh said...

I have to admit that my heart broke a little when I heard this news. I'm thrilled for you and your family, of course, but selfishly I was hoping that one say soon you guys would end up back in Texas.

Really, it doesn't matter where in the world you are, you'll always be a part of "the gang".

Congrats on the fantastic Landor gig.

2:53 PM  
Blogger Tony B said...

I moved back to Cincy 2 years ago and am now looking to buy a house there even though I am currently working in Indy.
I look forward to see you kids and meeting the other kids.
T-storm

4:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home